Okay, so with the release of Call of Duty – Black Ops for PC there have been a few glitches and bugs found. These are easily fixable if you have any clue what you’re doing. It’s very easy actually – you just have to open the config_mp.cfg file located in:
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\call of duty black ops\players\
But first, open Steam. In your games list, right click on Call of Duty: Black Ops Multiplayer and go to Properties. Click on Updates and uncheck the “Enable Steam Cloud Updates” button. This can cause some extra unwanted CPU/bandwidth usage and lag.
In your profile’s folder you will find the config file.
Right click it, edit as Administrator if possible. Opening it with notepad makes it display all crunched into an unreadable mess. Open with Wordpad and you should be fine.
Search in wordpad: multi
First two changes:
- r_multiGpu – Set “1” to “0” if you do not have multiple GPU’s (graphics cards) on your machine.
- r_multithreaded_device – Set “0” to “1” if you have multiple cores on your processor. It’s required to have multi cores to play the game so you probably do…
You can also change the following things in the config_mp file to reduce lag and glitchiness in game:
- cl_maxpackets – Change to “100”. Increases your packet count so it will not fail as easily.
- r_blur_allowed – Set “1” to “0”.
- r_glow_allowed – Set “1” to “0”.
- r_distortion – Set “1” to “0”.
- r_dof_enable – Set “1” to “0”. Turns off depth of view.
On top of these changes you should definitely consider the following:
- Exiting all other unneeded programs running in the background.
- Try lowering game resolution / graphic settings. Turn anti-aliasing and game shadows OFF.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and open task manager. Under processes right click the game and set affinity to one CPU.
I am assuming that Steam will release a patch to update the game and fix these things and others as well as far as the simple bugs in the new release.
These worked for me and many others, hope it works for you.