Below is TMJ4 News' policy on the use of mug shots in our news coverage:
- It is the general policy of TMJ4 News not to use mug shots unless there is a specific content or storytelling need.
- TMJ4 will generally not use a mug shot for basic "picture" identification purposes.
- Any use of a mug shot needs to be approved by a news manager.
- Generic use of mug shots can feed into a variety of stereotypes.
- The pictures TMJ4 shows, the video/media we use, the sound we choose, and the words we use have an impact on our audiences.
- TMJ4 will not use a mug shot as a personal picture in a story unless there is a specific content or storytelling need – and again, only upon approval of a manager.
To request a pre-existing mugshot be removed from TMJ4's online and on-air platforms, you are encouraged to submit your story to TMJ4's "Moving Forward" inititaive.